Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Review of Infinity Blade - Awakening

Infinity Blade: AwakeningInfinity Blade: Awakening by Brandon Sanderson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Siris has spent his entire lifetime honing his body and spirit to be the ultimate warrior, foregoing all of the pleasures of a normal childhood, for the sole purpose of one epic duel. Also known as the 'sacrafice', Siris is the most recent heir to a line of challengers who have confronted and been slain by the immortal 'God King' over the centuries. The only problem is that Siris failed by facing and miraculously killing his nemesis and taking the fabled 'Infinity Sword'.


Now Siris must confront a world he was never prepared to live in while dodging other immortals, known as 'Deathless', who covet the blade he carries, which is likely the only tool on earth capable of giving the immortals a true death. With no true allies and no clear path to the freedom he truely desires, Siris must learn all he can about the Deathless, the Infinity Blade, and his own internal mysteries before it's too late.


This was a solid prologue to what could be an interesting series should Brandon Sanderson sign on for more however, as a fan I would prefer he continue on with his personal projects. The ending was clearly devised to set the stage for more installments, with the last chapters really prodding my interest to a level I've come to expect from this author's work.


The biggest challenge with this story were certainly the limitations in writing around the preestablished storyline from the game. That said, I think Sanderson added a significant level of creativity in helping the reader understand this world through dialogue and character progressions, particualrly with supporting characters, which is a hallmark of Sanderson's style.


Clearly the folks at ChAIR Entertainment chose well in their search for an author to take on this project. While the game has little appeal to me, I can certainly see how even this one novella will spark interest and move the gaming arm of the brand forward.


Still, this is about the book and while I enjoyed it I wouldn't put it on a list of must-reads but if you are looking for something in the fantasy genre that will sate a small craving, or a quick read in between epic series, then this is a good bet.

3 comments:

  1. Honestly - I love Sanderson but I don't think I'll ever read this one. No interest at all in books that are spawn offs from video games.

    Pabkins @ Mission to Read

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you Pabkins but it might give a younger reader a taste of what kind of power B-Sanderson brings to the genre. Elantris would be my first choice for a newbie but this is a pretty good second.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed all of Brandon Sanderson's novels- some more than others, but something that he excels in is writing in a medium with interesting restraints.

    ReplyDelete